The Mulberry Garden
The splayed trunk of the Mulberry Tree gives the impression of a small copse whereas it is in fact one solitary tree. This was planted in 1865 by Emma Dent next to the Dungeon Tower, another of the remaining 15th Century parts of Ralph Boteler’s original Castle.
For most of the year this garden is an enchanting dell filled with country flowers and cool greenery. In the late summer the immediate area has to be roped off when the Mulberries fall to the ground and stain the gravel with their rich dark juices.
In amongst the Mulberry Tree:
• Crown imperials